Let’s find out. . .
Good question! And I am glad you asked. It means that you are least thinking about what you are putting in your body, which is a great start. While I am a daily user and promoter of Pruvit ketones; I will make this article as unbiased as possible – I compartmentalise well. In order to answer the question “Are Pruvit ketones safe?”, we first need to understand what ketones are, how they work, and then hone in on Pruvit’s specific formula (and claims). Let’s get started.
What Are Ketones?
Ketones (ketone bodies) are compounds that our body produces as an alternative energy source. This happens when glucose (blood sugar – derived from carbohydrates) is not available for our body to use. I bet you didn’t even know your body could run on another fuel source! I definately didn’t – or had not given it the thought, as I was stuffing tacos in my mouth. . .
So what can trigger our bodies to start creating ketones as a fuel source? Starvation (not so good), long term fasting (so kinda like starvation), and ketogenic diets. When carb intake is reduced so much, like in these situations, your body goes into a metabolic state called ketosis – where it becomes a fat burning machine. Due to not being able to make glucose so readily – your liver takes fat (ingested, or from your body) and turns these fatty acids into ketone bodies. This process is called ketogenesis, and is the main goal of the keto diet.
There are three types of ketones that are created during ketogenisis. These are acetoacetate (urinary ketones), beta-hydroxybuterate (blood ketones), and acetone (breath ketones).
Ketones are placed into two categories:
- Exogenous ketones: these are ketones that are supplied to the body. All the ketone supplements fall into this category.
- Endogenous ketones: which are created naturally by the body.
Beta-hydroxybutyrate (BHB) is most readily absorbed by the body – so most exogenous ketone supplements use BHB as their ketone source.
How Do Exogenous Ketone Supplements Work?
Supplementing with exogenous ketones is designed to simulate the process of ketogenesis in the body. Basically getting you into a state of nutritional ketosis, without having to invest the time and effort the keto diet can take to achieve the same result. They have become popular becuase the ketogenic diet generally consists of 5% carbs, 15% protein, and 80% fat – which some people find quite restrictive (myself included). Enter ketone supplements.
So how do they work?
After ingesting beta-hydroxybyterate it is absorbed into the blood stream, and then turned into a fuel source for the body. Pruvit claims this process can happen in under 1 hour (Which I have tested, with a blood ketone meter, after eating a dohnut an hour earlier). Once you are in a keto-adapted metablic state your body has switched to looking for fatty acids to turn into ketones to continue the cycle. The effects are obviously not permenant – and they generally last for 5-6 hours if you continue to consume carbs. Remember, your body has been running on glucose as a fuel source for most of your life – and like us changing a habit – it can revert back to old ones easily.
How To Use Ketone Supplements?
I have been using exogenous ketones for about 3 years now, a number of ways. So I will share my thoughts below:
- Take daily in the morning, in conjunction with intermittant fasting. I have done this for a while now, and have found it effective, even when not eating a keto diet, and not even eating a low carb diet. I wake up at about 6am, drink my ketones, and have my first meal around midday. My favourite benefit is that I am a focussed machine for the first half of my day at work. No more sluggishness, and no more tripple shot coffee to get me focussed.
- Use in conjunction with a ketogenic diet meal plan. Some people use ketone supplements daily to supplement theit keto diet plan, or take as a pre-workout before exercising. This ensures you are in a state of nutritional ketosis, even if your diet isnt quite getting you to an optimum level.
- Used as a safety net while on the keto diet. So your keto diet is on point, and you are in a state of nutritional ketosis. . . But you want to have a drink at the BBQ, or a slice of cheesecake. Carrying around ketones to help in these situations is a great idea – and economical because you are using them only as required. Remember, the purpose of ketone supplementation is to get you into ketosis – so if you are already nailing it on your diet, then you will already be getting much of the benefits of ketosis.
- Twice a day, every day. For the best results – a ketone supplement like Pruvit’s KETO//OS in the morning (caffeinated) and a caffeine free version mid afternoon.
- Resetting your metabolism. As I am writing this, I am actually on day 1 of my 60 hour Pruvit Keto Reboot. It is a fast for 60 hours while in ketosis, and is designed to reset your metabolism. I’ll post about the results at the end.
So Are Pruvit Ketones Safe?
By now you should have a good understanding on what exogenous ketone supplements are, and how they work. From here – the question of “Are Pruvit ketones safe” has probably been answered. Yes. They simulate a naturally occurring process in your body, and get you into a state of nutritional ketosis. So the final question should be “Is ketosis right for me?”
Like with any supplementation or drastic change in how you fuel your body, I would recommend you speak to your medical proctitioner about whether or not ketones are a good fit. Depending on any existing health conditions or other medical aspects of your being – it is worth discussing with your doctor before you supplement with anything. That being said – I never did this. But then I only suffer from balding (but I shave my head, and can grow a fantastic beard, so it’s OK).
If you do decide that exogenous ketone supplements is the right thing for you, there are a few ways you can get started with Pruvit.
- 10 Day Ketone Challenge: The world’s largest ketone challenge – try it our here.
- 5 Day Experience Packs: We stock these ready to ship from Wellington. This is how I first got involved – and I fell in love at day 3. Grab your 5 day experience pack here.
- Double down with a full box of 20 servings: You can see all of Pruvit’s KETO//OS products here, and choose a flavour.
- Join Pruvit as a promoter: Share the ketone love, build a lifestyle business, and help others prusue better. Learn more about Pruvit’s promoter opportunity here.
If you made it this far, then thanks for reading! I am keen to hear your guys thoughts, so please comment away or get in contact with us.